12.05.2008

Matthew 6:24-34

This is one of my favorite passages in the Bible. It contains a great promise that I often overlook. As Jesus gives The Sermon on The Mount he adds this encouragement: 

"Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the Birds of the air... consider the lilies of the field... Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you... But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Day to day it is a struggle to remember and stand firm in our faith in the promises that God has for us. It's a shame that we forget some of this stuff though. I have to ask myself, "How often do I look right through these things, and get caught up within myself?" Unfortunately, I think the answer to the previous question would be all-to-often. It's hard to trust God. No false expectations here... IT'S TOUGH! 

At different times though it seems circumstances or other outside forces help my perspectives to see much more clearly the God's grace in my life.

With Thanksgiving behind us, I'd still consider thankfulness relevant. It doesn't have to be the 4th thursday of November for me to share what I'm greatly thankful for:

I recently have moved again, and No, it wasn't because a roommate got married. (Surprisingly!) I was given a great opportunity to live with some friends of mine for a great economic bail-out. Not only am I living in a wonderful house with great people, but on top of all that, I'm living in Redding for the cheapest I've ever paid for rent in the last 5 years. (It may have been slightly cheaper sharing a two bedroom apartment at the Manzanita Manor with Zach, Scott, and Gabe, but none should live in that small of quarters with three other guys. Unless your 19 and you make 400 dollars a month, and you promise to never run the AC. Ask Scott about the frosty mug) 

That said, I know that God has unlimited and infinite blessings for me. It's great when you can see it clearly in tangible ways like provision for a place to call home. I am so undeserving and yet daily, hourly, minutely God is lavishing his grace on me in so many unnoticeable ways. I hope to not let the busyness of my life and the constant static noise of our society cover up the abundance of God's Grace revealed to me. 

I hope you all know the Greatness of God's grace in your life. I hope for you that you find yourself in the occasions where you can see His grace, love, promise and provision with great clarity.

2 comments:

Carsen said...

Thanks for the perspective! Great verse, good points, things to think about...

noah! said...

haha, frosty mug, NICE.

another funny mug story: old spice.