12.01.2008

Two Turkeys-5 Shotguns-47 People

Thus was my thanksgiving at my Grandpa's house this year. The day was filled with food, family, and fun. I didn't even know I was related to that many people. At 12:00 when we sat down for lunch there was 47 people ready to eat. Only two people weren't somehow related to me, and they were invited by my grandpa thanksgiving morning, when he met them at Perko's. 

The food was good. Typical thanksgiving meal. I really enjoyed it. I like how in my later years of life I've finally been able to relate and converse with my more distant relatives. I've always been the youngest of all my family on both sides. So while the grown ups were talking I was always at the kiddie table. Now, there's a whole other generation at the kid's table, and I get to join the grown ups. It seems weird that at 23 I'm finally getting to know some of my family members, but it's still a lot of fun. My family has personality.

The highlight of the day was shooting guns. In the last five years it's almost become a thanksgiving day tradition to pull out the shotguns and clay pigeons and shoot the afternoon away. I can't complain. I've realized that the last five years of mine lived in Redding, has really taken it's toll on me. I'm becoming more and more like the great North-State-ians that I daily find myself surrounded by. I like Guns! They're fun to shoot. I haven't killed anything yet, except for birds with a pellet gun, but who knows what the future holds. Especially if I stay in Redding. I don't fish, because it just ticks me off to sit there so long. But maybe someday I'll have some ghostly deer head on my wall in my den, next to my poster of Dale Jr. 

Thanksgiving was fun. Frankly I think we should have it two times a year. It's the same a Christmas minus the pressure of gifts. The food's great. The family is fun. Right now I only see them once a year. Twice wouldn't hurt. Plus I could afford spending some more time developing my shot.

I hope everyone's thanksgiving was great.

5 comments:

zach harrison said...

Remember when we went shooting with Erin? We need to get us some guns!

pedronegro said...

It sounds like thanksgiving went off with a bang (punn intended). I too love guns. Not as popular here in Portland as in Portola or Redding, all you have to do though is get out of town a little and you are in hunters paradise.

Hope life is good and I will have to check out that app. and yes it does sound creepy.

noah! said...

did you get your tickets to the gun show? heyo!

Kim said...

Enjoyed reading your post and glad that you had a nice Thanksgiving with the fam.

I agree, we should do Turkey day more than once a year. You should go shooting with my dad sometime. He loves guns too.

scott J tyler said...

Did your grandpa know those people from Perkoes or did he really just meet them that day and felt it in his heart to give the old charity invite?